Sunday, July 29, 2007

Alright, so two weeks ago I was very privileged to spend the afternoon on an assignment profiling Jennifer English, owner of the Flavor Bank, located on Broadway -Shops at El Mercado.

I wish to thank Jennifer English and staff for their time and hospitality. Kelly Mahoney you did great with the profile, and last but not least, thank you to Joe Pangburn and Inside Tucson Business for the opportunity.



Various spices from around the world packaged and displayed in storefront.

This, I must proclaim, is an amazing place and I would encourage anyone who cooks or is interested in cooking to visit. This is an establishment that bursts with a scent of history and visual appeal, coupled with tremendous integrity –like walking into a museum or viewing an art collection.



Jennifer English is one of those people that you sit next to during a 5-hour flight –and because the conversation and cultural exchange is so fascinating; the feeling of optimism and sense of place follows you down the terminal…

One thing that I really went away thinking about is the concept of eating “clean” –as fresh and as free from artificial preservatives as possible. Statements about going daily to the local market and buying only enough food and spices for the day. Having grown up in Asia, I have to say that associating the word “clean” with local markets is a bit difficult to conceptualize. An Asian market, is not an Asian market without hurdling over pools of God knows what and bugs crawling over freshly picked fruit and vegetables, and of course the classic thin-plastic bags that potentially fall apart while walking home (I would say 90% of the time). However, everything is free from the artificial stuff and as fresh as it gets. Perhaps our love for fancy packaging and presentation will be our undoing. I have since been trying to eat as clean as I can –I even went and bought a fish with the head still attached! I know that bothers some, but I’m Asian and I’ve seen far worse!

It’s interesting to me that such a wealth of reflection can be delivered in such a humble package of spice.



Jennifer English stands in front of her famous spice rack; made of an assortment that the Flavor Bank will sell in quantities as small as a mere pinch. English says that customers will come with recipes in hand, wanting only enough for their dish.



Inside Tucson Business Reporter –Kelly Mahoney did the profile on the Flavor Bank in the July 30 issue. Check it out link: www.azbiz.com/articles/2007/07/27/business_profile/profile01.txt

No comments: